Sedation Dentistry Candidates
Taking care of oral health care problems is vital to the health of your teeth and body. Unfortunately, many patients ignore dental problems because they are too afraid to go to the dentist. The fear of dental work is actually very common. That is why Troy cosmetic dentists Craig and Marcy Goldin offer sedation dentistry to patients who suffer from dental anxiety. Sedation dentistry puts patients into a deep state of relaxation so that they can undergo dental procedures without any feelings of fear or anxiety.
Candidates for Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry is safe and our cosmetic dentists closely monitor the patient's level of sedation. For this reason, virtually any of our patients are possible candidates for sedation dentistry. Ideal candidates for sedation dentistry are those who experience any of the following:
- Fear and/or nervousness regarding dental care
- Poor response to numbing medications
- Gag reflex or difficulty opening your mouth wide for dental procedures
- Teeth sensitivity
- Low tolerance for pain
Sedation dentistry is also ideal for patients that:
- Require multiple dental procedures or extensive dental work
- Require oral surgery
- Have a history of traumatic experiences at the dentist
Patients that suffer from dental anxiety should discuss the possibility of sedation dentistry with Dr. Goldin. In some cases, sedation dentistry may also be used on children who have a great fear of the dentist or will not cooperate during a dental appointment.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
Dr. Goldin offers patients two choices for sedation dentistry. Depending on each patient’s needs, we will use either oral sedation or IV sedation.
- Oral Sedation: If oral sedation is chosen, Dr. Goldin will give you an oral medication that will be taken before you arrive at our dental offices. You will need to make sure you have a driver to take you to and from your appointment, as relaxation will set in before you arrive for your appointment. At our offices, we will monitor your vital signs throughout the dental procedure.
- IV Sedation: Dr. Craig Goldin is certified in the use of IV sedation dentistry. With IV sedation, Dr. Goldin can monitor a patient’s vitals and alter the medication as necessary. This is considered a “deep conscious sedation.” The patient will be awake and responsive but will feel very relaxed and is unlikely to have any memories of the procedure.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
If you feel too nervous to get the dental treatments that are required, you should consider the following benefits of sedation dentistry:
- Sedation dentistry allows patients to get the treatments required to improve their oral health without feeling any pain, fear, or anxiety.
- Sedation dentistry is considered very safe when performed by a certified professional such as Dr. Goldin.
- Sedation dentistry can be used for a variety of dental procedures. For our patients in Troy, dental implants, dental crowns, and gum disease treatments are just some of the procedures that can be performed with sedation dentistry.
Schedule an Appointment
Don't be afraid to give your teeth the care they deserve. With sedation dentistry, dental anxiety can be a problem of the past. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Goldin to learn if you can benefit from sedation dentistry.