Get Same-day Dental Crowns with CEREC®
When a tooth is severely weakened or reduced in size, it is that much more susceptible to additional damage. Thus, patients in need of dental crowns should not have to wait any longer than necessary. Traditionally, the procedure for crowns involves two separate appointments that may be multiple weeks apart. But with our in-office CEREC® machine, your teeth can be prepared and fitted with permanent crowns in a single appointment, restoring your smile almost immediately. When it comes to your comfort, convenience, and dental health, our Troy dentistry practice is proud to offer state-of-the-art treatment. Learn precisely how CEREC® technology can improve your dental crown procedure.
What Is CEREC®?
Because porcelain restorations are crafted from impressions of teeth, they require specific technology that is capable of milling the material into an exact shape and fit. Conventionally, this required dentists to send impressions to outside labs, who would craft the restorations before sending them back to the dentist. However, CEREC® machines offer this same technology within a dentist’s office, allowing porcelain crowns, veneers, inlays, and onlays to be crafted on the spot.
After taking digital impressions and images of teeth, the cosmetic dentist sends this data directly to the machine. A computerized model of the restoration is then created, which is replicated with pinpoint accuracy by automated milling tools. The time varies upon the size and complexity of the restoration, but most patients do not have to wait any longer than 30 to 60 minutes.
Receiving Your Dental Crowns through CEREC®
When you visit our office to receive your dental crowns, you can expect a relatively quick and simple procedure. First, local anesthesia will be administered to ensure your comfort. Once ready, your teeth will be prepared for crowns:
- For each tooth to be crowned, a portion of enamel will be removed from around the surface. This allows a crown to take the place of a tooth’s outer layer without increasing its natural size.
- A small intraoral camera is then used to take digital impressions of the tooth, which are immediately used to create a 3-D model of it and surrounding teeth.
- Your dental crown will be crafted within the following hour as you relax.
- When the crown is finished, it will be placed over the tooth for evaluation. If any adjustments need to be made for a better fit or bite surface, they will be performed at this time. However, most CEREC® restorations are an adequate fit the first time.
- Once the dentist is confident that your crown is ideal, it will be cemented over the tooth.
Benefits of CEREC® Same-day Crowns
By using our CEREC® machine, you gain the following advantages of same day crowns:
- Increased convenience: Rather than waiting days or weeks for your crown to arrive, you can walk out of our office with permanent crowns only two hours after your arrival.
- No temporary crowns: When you are forced to wait for dental crowns, you must wear temporary ones in the meantime. Temporary crowns provide less protection for teeth and may interfere with regular eating habits. Skip this step entirely by receiving your permanent restorations without delay.
- Easier impressions: Digital impressions do not require the putty-like molding material of traditional impressions. CEREC® impressions are more comfortable and promote a more streamlined procedure.
- Instant modifications: Imagine finally getting your dental crowns, only to learn that further alterations need to be made. In the event your crowns are not a perfect fit, you will still receive your finished crowns within the same day.
In addition to all the benefits of CEREC®, our dental crowns offer the same advantages of any porcelain restoration: long-lasting, stain resistant, and color-matched to the rest of your smile. By the end of the procedure, your teeth will appear as healthy and beautiful as ever.
Schedule a Consultation
To learn more about our in-office technology and the services provided, schedule a consultation with Drs. Craig or Marcy Goldin. We look forward to meeting each of your restorative and cosmetic dentistry needs.