Zirconia Implant Bridges: Ideal Solutions for Missing Teeth
When people are missing a few teeth or many teeth, there are plenty of treatment options to consider. While full-arch restorations using traditional bridges and dentures have been effective over the years, we are pleased to offer patients bridgework and dentures made from zirconia.
The team at our Troy, MI dental care center would like to cover the basics of how implant bridges work and why zirconia is an ideal material to use.
How Implant Bridges Work
Implant bridges refer to dental bridges that are held in place with dental implants. The implants serve as artificial tooth roots, and the bridge help fill the gap left by missing teeth.
Thanks to implant bridges, we are able to help people bite, chew, and smile with renewed confidence.
Why Zirconia for a Bridge or Denture?
Acrylic dental appliances are poured into a mold and allowed to harden. While they're strong, they don't compare at all to a zirconia appliance.
Zirconia dental appliances are milled from a solid piece of zirconia, meaning they are less likely to break or fracture. These appliances are hand-colored and polished as well to ensure an excellent appearance with an eye for detail.
The Benefits of Zirconia
There are a few key benefits to zirconia as a dental appliance material:
- Durability - As noted above, crafting an appliance from a single solid material results in a much strong appliance.
- Stability - Zirconia dental appliances are well-anchored and tend to stay in place better than acrylic appliances.
- Great Appearance - The handcrafted work of a zirconia bridge or denture has a human touch that is hard to match.
Dental Implants to Support Arch Restorations
Dental implants are surgically embedded artificial roots that help support crowns, bridges, and dentures. Since the dental implants are integrated into the living tissues of the mouth, they essentially function just like normal tooth roots would.
A zirconia bridge or denture would be crafted with multiple abutments that snap securely onto your dental implants. The result is a a great-looking bridge or denture that is unlikely to fall out.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
There are a few key benefits to getting dental implants:
- Sturdiness - Biting, chewing, speaking, and normal daily tasks will not loosen your dentures thanks to the strength of the dental implants.
- Prevention of Bone Loss - Bone loss is common after tooth loss when root structure is no longer present. Since dental implants function as roots, they prevent the loss of hard and soft tissue in the mouth.
- Seamlessness - Appliances supported by dental implants tend to look and fit better than traditional appliances, making their aesthetics and overall function seamless and undetectable from natural teeth.
Are Zirconia Implant Bridges Right for Me?
The best way to find out if you are a candidate for zirconia implant bridges is to visit the practice for a consultation. We will assess your situation and help determine the ideal treatments to address your tooth loss. We’ll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have so you can make an informed choice about your dental care options.
Learn More About Treating Tooth Loss
For more information about replacing missing teeth and enhancing the health of your smile, be sure to contact a skilled restorative dentist today. The team at the Cosmetic Dentistry Institute is here to help you smile with renewed confidence.