What Should Patients Expect during a Dental Exam?
Regular dental exams are one of the best steps patients can take in ensuring a lifelong health of the teeth and gums. At the Cosmetic Dentistry Institute in Troy, Dr. Craig Goldin and Dr. Marcy Goldin work to make dental exams a painless, informative process that caters to each of their patients’ special needs. First-time dental exam patients can help prepare for their exams by being informed and aware of typical comprehensive exam procedures.
What’s The Point of a Dental Exam?
During a dental exam at the Troy cosmetic dentistry of Drs. Goldin, the dentists have several goals. They are:
- To assess the risk of tooth, root, and gum decay, and to evaluate options if these conditions exist.
- To assess overall tooth health and determine if teeth are being properly cared for at home by the patient.
- To check that the jaw properly aligns and that the bite is properly aligned.
- To clean the teeth and remove any built-up bacterial plaque from hard-to-reach places.
- To clean stains from the teeth through cleaning and polishing.
- To assess the status of enamel and possibly administer a fluoride treatment to strengthen teeth.
- To teach proper at-home hygienic techniques and establish a dental healthcare plan.
- To discuss with patients their habits that may contribute to poor dental health, including smoking and the consumption of highly acidic foods.
- To take and evaluate X-rays if necessary.
What Dentists Expect from Patients
Drs. Goldin strive to make patients feel completely relaxed during their dental visits. A patient’s first dental visit is an event that can begin a lifelong commitment to excellent dental care.
At Drs. Goldin’s Troy general dentistry practice, the dentist expect a few things from patients during their first dental visit. They want an honest relationship with each patient so they can cater each and every procedure to each patient’s specific needs. Drs. Goldin also want patients:
- To discuss dental fears. They are practiced in treating dental anxiety and can calm fears by educating patients and explaining procedures step-by-step.
- To discuss any health conditions they have or medications they are on. Some medications and conditions may require special treatment. Drs. Goldin have alternative methods and medications they can use should a patient be averse to standard treatments.
- To explain any dental issues they have had. While patients aren’t professionally trained dentists, if a patient has a concern about a specific problem, they should discuss it during their dental appointments.
- To explain any dental or medical procedures they have had. With this knowledge, they can help decide which procedures have worked, how they have healed. and what the next steps are moving forward.
For patients with extra anxiety about their dental exam, Drs. Goldin offer sedation dentistry. They are proud to offer IV sedation to help patients relax while having a regular checkup or during more serious procedures.
For more information on dental exams and to have any questions answered, please contact Drs. Goldin today. Their friendly, knowledgeable staff can set up a consultation to calm any fears and answer any questions patients may have.